LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY (LLLT)
What is Low Level Laser Therapy?
LASER stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission by Radiation. The device emits light from a laser diode which is monochromatic (one wavelength) and according to the wavelength it can be used to treat different medical conditions.
Laser Therapy devices (Low Level Lasers up to approx. 500 mW (milliwatts) power output) do not have a thermal effect. This means they provoke no immediate visible skin reactions, no heating of tissue and virtually no sensations during therapy.
The most beneficial wavelengths are in the visible and near infrared ranges. These ranges are very safe ranges, far away from the damaging ultraviolet, x-rays, gamma and cosmic rays. Low level lasers are used everywhere in our society, such as bar code check out, laser printers, compact disc players and for many medical procedures.
Works on the principle of Photobio-activation, which is a term applied to a light stimulus that initiates and/or accelerates a physiological response. The laser energy is absorbed by metabolically active pigments of the mitochondria in various cutaneous and subcutaneous layers: here involved are the two enzymes of the oxidation chain, Cytochrome a/a3 and Flavoprotein with absorption maxims of wavelengths applied. Ultimately accelerating enzymatic process and increasing the concentration of ATP (cell fuel source) by up to 200%. The use of low level lasers (cold lasers or soft tissue lasers) enhances cellular function and it can also encourage the formation of collagen and cartilage in damaged joints and the repair of tendons and ligaments.
Pain results from trauma, inflamation and/or cellular disruption, malfunction, or less than optimal cellular function. Healing and pain relief come with cellular normalization. Photons enable cells to perform optimally by stimulating them to initiate bio-chemical reactions, which produce enzymes and ATP (usable energy). Use of low level lasers (cold lasers or soft tissue lasers) enhances cellular function and it can also encourage the formation of collagen and cartilage in damaged joints and the repair of tendons and ligaments.
How can LLLT decrease my pain and enhance tissue healing and regeneration?
- Pain Reduction by stimulating cells to produce their own endorphins, natural pain killers,
- Healing Acceleration by stimulating cells to increase the production of two major healing enzymes by as much as 75%,
- Inflammation Reduction by as much as 75%,
- Increase Bone and Cartilage Regeneration by stimulating fibroblastic and osteoblastic proliferation,
- Increase Muscle Relaxation by increasing intra-cellular ATP
- Reduction of Swelling by stimulating lymphatic drainage,
- Immune System Stimulation by increasing the number of "killer" cells by 400-900%, and most importantly.
- Restoration of Cell Membrane integrity to allow transport of essential nutrients across cell walls (nutrients will not cross an injured or sick cell wall, thus slowing healing) allowing a healthy new cell to grow.